Thursday, August 14, 2008

things to do this week

From Teacher Magazine:

You can start communication with parents before the first day of school. Teachers can call home to welcome students and talk to the parents before school starts. I like to send postcards to new students introducing myself. Other teachers hold special class events such as class picnics in the park or an ice cream social before the first day. An opening letter from you on the first day of school is a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the families you will work with. Along with the letter, I also send home a family survey. The data gathered provides insight and invaluable information about my students and families right from the start. Here are some things I include in my family survey:

• What languages are spoken at home?
• Is there someone to help your child with homework?
• Emergency phone numbers, emails, updated address
• Food allergies/Health issues/Diet
• Celebrations and Cultural Awareness
• Child’s Strengths
• Special Needs
• Interests and Talents (parents love this)
• Areas of Concerns, if any
• Expectations for the year
• Questions
****************

From a fourth grade teacher on blog:
Welcome to Room 408!
Hello and Welcome to the 2008-2009 School Year! I hope you are as excited about the new year as I am.

Our classroom blog is a place for you to share your thoughts about anything we are doing in our classroom. People will be able to comment on what you write, and you can comment on what other students write.

NEW STUDENTS AND PARENTS--please leave a note to say hi! You can do this by clicking where it says "comment." Don't worry when your comment doesn't show up right away--I have to approve everything before it appears online. (This is for internet safety!)

No comments: