Sunday, January 4, 2009

Action Plans

I know I haven't finished my 7 narratives yet, but that's okay because that is an on-going thing. Today, though, Sunday, I want to go back and think about my resolution.
Everyone should develop an action plan for every goal. For example, a healthy eating resolution may mean I need to find new recipes with sugar substitutes, drinking water rather than soda, or preparing my foods in advance. Action..moving...doing things that will make my goals become a reality.

We teach kids this all the time. Don't just SAY you're going to do something, do it. But, truthfully, do we teach them HOW do accomplish this? I remember when I told my students we were putting on a play. We made a time line, made a plan. Each day we worked towards the mini goals we had set up for ourselves so that by the time we put the play on, our stress level was fairly low. Teaching goal making and planning is very important.

So, as we start the new year, give yourself and your students a hand. Don't assume that someone somewhere they were already taught how to organize their time. They probably weren't. The earlier we start this the better.

Hey, that sounds like a plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always encouraged my students to do that. I never called them action plans, though. I referred to them as "checklists" because that seemed less scary to them. Action plans, with goals, were exactly what they were, regardless of what we called them.