Thursday, January 1, 2009

9 Goals for 2009

Which means new goals, new hopes, new happiness. I've been telling everyone for days that blogging is necessary, and yet, look at me...the worst procrastinator of all.

1)Well, one of my goals is to be sure I write more in my blog. And that starts today. By posting "Blog on your blog" on my calendar, I am writing a specific goal and giving myself the time to do it. I love to write so I don't know why it's so difficult to follow my own advice. So it's on my calendar. Once a week to blog on my teacher site and to blog on my teacher challenge.

2)Now I also have to set a goal about working out. I bought a new piece of equipment which should be here in a few days so that will help. I need to start walking again. Ten minutes. Just to start. It's cold, but it will help. I wish Sunny lived here and then I'd HAVE to take her out for a walk. Ten minutes a day. Specific.

3)Spend time with family; that includes extended family as well. I need to spend time with Mom and Dad and Jeff and would like to do that once a week. Jeff is back to winter Jeff so it's a great time to take that advantage of the opportunity. Now to figure out the specifics.

4)To smile more and reach out more to others. Not to do more than I can take on, but to do more for those who can't.

5)to cut back on drinking soda. Even though it's diet, I know it's not good for me.

6)to write down what I spend. I need to start saving money for a car. A small notebook will help me look at my finances.

7)-9) will be forthcoming.


From Good Housekeeping:
Soup Diet Basic Recipe and Variations
Our recipe for the Basic Soup yields such a large quantity — to make sure you have enough to enjoy all week — that it calls for a 12-quart stockpot for preparation. If you don't have one, not to worry — the ingredients divide easily in half and the soup can be prepared in 2 large saucepans or Dutch ovens, depending on what you have in your kitchen cabinet.


Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Makes: 28 cups

* 1 lb. carrots, sliced
* 3 med. onions (1 1/2 lbs.), chopped (4 c.)
* 4 lg. stalks celery, sliced
* 2 lg. cloves garlic, crushed with press
* 2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes in juice
* 1/2 sm. head green cabbage (1 lb.) thinly sliced (6 c.)
* 3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and each cut into thirds
* 1 can (48 to 49 oz.) chicken broth
* 6 c. water
* Salt and pepper
* 3 med. zucchini (1 1/4 lbs.), sliced into half-moons
* 2 bags (6 oz. each) baby spinach leaves

1. Coat 12-quart stockpot (or 2 large saucepans) with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, add carrots, onions, celery, and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables soften, stirring occasionally.

2. Add tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add cabbage, green beans, broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.

3. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; stir in zucchini and spinach and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.

Each cup: About 45 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g total fat (0 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium.

From SparkPeople:
Happy New Year!
If you haven't yet settled on your top goals for the year, do so today. Writing down
your goals (in specific terms) means you're more likely to achieve.

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

I find writing tasks on my Outlook/Google (they are synced) calendar helps me see them every day. I also have a set time to walk on the treadmill each morning and then hubby and I walk an hour each day in the park. As for diet sodas, they are filled with sodium which makes me retain lots of water. I have trouble drinking water in places away from home so I drink lots of diet pepsi. When I stop drinking them, I can lose some pounds. Good luck with your goals! I'm cheering for you!